Tuesday, May 24, 2011

HELP! I need somebody... not just any body... Please help me...yeah.

I just found Brandcamp in New York going on today while I was reading this very interesting blog called "Why I will Never Hire a Social Media Expert".  We are missing it unfortunately.  However, The Blog is more important I think.  I note what it says about communication and marketing in general ( most emphasis is mine):

1.   "IT’S ABOUT GENERATING REVENUE THROUGH SOLID MARKETING AND STELLAR CUSTOMER SERVICE, JUST LIKE IT’S BEEN SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME."
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-will-never-ever-hire-a-social-media-expert-2011-5#ixzz1NHXQ2m2X

2.  "It’s about transparency. It’s about not lying to your customers, and thinking that a good Twitter apology will suffice when you’re caught. It won’t, and you’ll lose. Customers will run away in droves, because they can. They can go wherever they want now -- it doesn’t matter how loyal they were in the past.
                                        Lie to them and get caught, and say goodbye."
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-will-never-ever-hire-a-social-media-expert-2011-5#ixzz1NHX4FEQ2

3. "What’s going to do it is GOOD WRITING, END OF STORY. Good writing is brevity, and brevity is marketing. Want to lose me as a customer, forever, guaranteed? Have a grammar error on any form of outward communication."
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-will-never-ever-hire-a-social-media-expert-2011-5#ixzz1NHY1s3dC

There is so much more here and more points which may make a difference to you, so I urge you all to go to the links and read the whole piece and then follow the author. I think he will be a good resource and perhaps one day we will be able hire him for help.

As for YVCG comments on the three points I found today...

1.   We need to be open five or more days a week. That is the biggest complaint I hear from non-members, locals and tourists alike.  If we take help from the town, region and foundations, then members must help market.   This means supporters who are not artists are also needed.  A tourism officer will do too.  We need you to volunteer and then help us find support for paid staff so artists can get back to the Everyday Work of Art .

2.  Transparency.  I need help for the ecommerce site ASAP.  I'm going to write the report for the WS Foundation funds now before our site even goes live. I'm not too happy about that, but the time has come and your input is sorely needed. 

Primarily, load your images of designs, art and products.  Let me know to send you a code to manage your gallery if you haven't already asked for one or if yours did not work. Let's try it again and let me get specifics for the web designer if we need to do so.   Email or call the YVCG. So, I'm not telling a story to you about going live, but... it hasn't happened within a week.  I will have to change the links about the Yadkin Valley Wine Festival to something else before its live and today I have to write our report. 

I know your time is limited. As for me, I had to go to an unexpected funeral late last week in the East. You know about the weekend - Thurs- Sunday. - And yesterday, I had an emergency trip to Williamsburg, Virginia and back in one day.  I have to go again on Thursday.  I made the most of it, even enjoyed it, but it was necessary for an surgery-recovering friend to whom I owe a lot for her contributions to my son's well being etc.  It takes a village, because sometimes you know, you need to ask for help. Now, I'm jumping up and down asking for help.  We are all volunteers. Even a tiny bit you can do will help.

3. Lastly,  It takes good writing ( and telephoning 10 members each day as suggested in another section of that blog).  I know I have already broken the punctuation rule and the spelling rule. AGAHHH!   Please let me know if your contribution to the Guild can be writing and commenting on the events and goings-on in eighteen counties for our blog.

- This would be a wonderful  contribution for someone who simply appreciates the craft artisans and tourism in the Yadkin Valley and is NOT an artist.  Artists are welcome too of course, but time is precious I know, so I wanted to encourage you to ask your own supporters or family members to help us market the YVCG by writing about their experiences in the Yadkin Valley and double-checking for spelling!!

As a note, volunteer hours spent contributing to the YVCG  count  twice!  First, you may get a tax deduction if you itemize and secondly, your volunteer hours help the Guild to report in-kind donations.  Your time is valuable and we know it!  Make it count in more ways than one. 

(Does your child need long-term senior project next year?? Hint, Hint, We can help with that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment