Saturday, June 4, 2011

Delightful nights in the Yadkin Valley

Date night in the Yadkin Valley was a lot of fun this weekend.  With just a little exploration, you can find a dozen things to do.  Friday, my husband and I attended an opening at the Welborn Gallery in Yadkinville in the new Yadkin Cultural Arts Center.   A beautiful mosaic featuring the a depiction of the Trail of Tears runs along the wall.  (TheYadkin River gets its name from the Native Americans found here who named it before the U.S. was established. )

Here are details from their website for the exhibit we saw::


Artists of the YARD and Cosmic Cow Society Artists


Fri Jun 3 - Sat Jul 9    Welborn Gallery and Uptown Gallery

YARD and COW Show
Dual Gallery Receptions: June 3 from 5:00 to 7:30 pm
Meet and greet the Artists of the Yard- resident artists of the Center's studios -  in the Welborn Gallery and the whimsical Cosmic Cow Society Artists in the Uptown Gallery.
YARD Exhibit dates: June 3 to July 9
Cosmic Cow Society Exhibit dates: June 3 to July 30 

My friend Peggy Petrocy was one of several working artists in the YARD, Yadkin Artists Residing Downtown, across from the gallery. The opening featured the work of these artists and the COSMIC COW society.  It was fantastic.

I reintroduced myself to Patty Bailey Sheets, whose art I had purchased about 12 years ago when I moved here.  That was pleasing.  An artists' colony is fully open in Yadkinville.

One of the Yadkin Valley Craft Guild weaving mentees, Patrice Bertke is also working in her YARD studio and exhibiting at the Galley.  Her textiles are drawing me to get off my computer to turn my mental art into reality.

What a happening place this is for the Yadkin Valley.  If you want to get involved, check out this next event:

"Call for Entries -- Eye of the Artist Juried Show 


The Yadkin Cultural Center is hosting an inaugural juried show of original 2D and 3D works by artists residing in North Carolina.
The Entry deadline has been extended to June 8, 2011.
The competition is open to residents of North Carolina 18 years of age or older. 
The juried exhibit will be on display in the Welborn Gallery at the Cultural Center from July 15 thorough September 10, 2011.
Cash prizes totalling $2,000 will be awarded the night of the opening, July 15th." 


BUT! Back to date night...  There was music and an open air cafe, The Thrid Branch Cafe,  across the walk from the Uptown Wine and Gallery.   It looked like everyone was having a great time, but we went to another interesting place in Yadkinville, Little Richards Bar-B-Que.  If you're from out of town, and you want  good cultural experience, this is the place for NC hospitality.   Every town in NC has its own crafted pork Bar-B-Que, which is a noun and not a verb here.  It is art.  But, it is not for calorie counters.

After the lovely evening, I called it short to attend a previously reserved Girl's Night Masterpiece Party at the Foothills Arts Council.  We had a blast and I brought home a Matisse in my own acrylic style.  It's too bad it was a copy of a Masterpiece because I believe it could win a prize if I entered it in the art show.  Well, I dunno....but I loved it!!

This morning my husband took a turn at a previously reserved river clean-up for National Trails Day on the portion of the Yadkin River which goes past the Yadkin River Greenway in theWilkesboros.  He tied up his kayak on the top of the SUV and went out to join a party of about 25 including river fans from as far away as Greensboro.  This is work in hot weather, but the river was cool and everyone had a good time.

I went by the Yadkin Valley Craft Guild to learn Make and Take at CLAYWORKS was a great success. We hold some introductory event the first Saturday of every month for the public to "get their hands dirty" and play in the arts.  This month the event was at the CLAYWORKS studio in Elkin and the visitors really did get there hands delightfully into the "mud".

Tonight, my "better half" went to the River House Country Inn and Restaurant to play hammered dulcimer at their Celtic Festival while I went with my son to a graduation party at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church..  We have a senior this year.  That is an adventure by itself.

There is just too much to do here.  Anyway, I had a lovely weekend here in the Yadkin Valley.  I hope you did too. Art, Wine, Song, Cosmic Cows and River- it's all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment